• Mark Moss

What Can Be Disbursed from a Special Needs Trust?

Updated: Apr 3

Many Florida residents need to ensure that a child with intellectual and developmental disabilities (“IDDs”) or other dependent is cared for. This is especially true after the caretaker or other responsible family member passes away. Unfortunately, there are risks in simply leaving an inheritance to ensure financial support for the dependent with IDDs. Receiving a large sum of money may result in the person with IDDs no longer being eligible or qualified for government benefits.

This is where a Florida supplemental special needs trust (“SNT”) becomes invaluable. However, a SNT is a specialized type of trust which will require legal assistance to set up. An attorney familiar with SNT is crucial for the proper establishment of this type of trust.

What is a Special Needs Trust?

A special needs trust is a certain type of trust designed to hold assets for the benefit of a person with IDDs, without affecting their ability to receive government “needs-based” benefits. Such benefits include Social Security Income (SSI), Medicaid, vocational rehabilitation, and subsidized housing. The assets in the SNT are effectively not “counted” in the person’s own assets. Accordingly, their eligibility and qualifications for these benefits are not affected.

On a high-level there are two different types of a SNT - a SNT established by the individual with IDDs or receiving needs-based benefits (first-party SNT) and a SNT established by the guardian or caretaker of the individual with IDDs (third-party SNT). A third-party SNT must be established by a “grantor” or “settler.” A trustee must be named to manage the trust. The trust must also have a beneficiary, i.e., the individual with IDDs for whom the trust is established.

What Does a Special Needs Trust Become Necessary?

The most common reason for a SNT is a person whose loved one has intellectual and developmental disabilities and will likely require lifetime care. This person could be a child, spouse, or other dependent. If correctly designed and implemented, the SNT allows trust assets to support the beneficiary without affecting their government benefits.

Another possibility is when the person with IDDs or receiving needs-based benefits receives an unexpected large sum of money, such as a personal injury settlement. This is when a first-person special needs trust may be advisable, which would be self-funded by that individual.

Allowable Disbursements from a Special Needs Trust

In order to not affect the SSI or Medicaid eligibility of the beneficiary of the SNT, only certain types of disbursements from the trust are allowed. These are typically food and shelter expenses paid to a third-party provider of such goods and services. Known as in-kind support and maintenance (ISM), such allowable expenses include food, rent, mortgage payments, and utility payments.

Other allowable disbursements include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:

  • Educational expenses;

  • Medical services not covered by Medicaid;

  • Psychological therapy; and

  • Recreation and entertainment expenses.

The trustee of the SNT should not disburse cash or cash equivalents (debit or gift cards) to the beneficiary. Likewise, the trustee of the SNT should not make disbursements for any goods or services already paid for by another source

An Estate Planning Attorney Can Help Establish Your Florida Special Needs Trust

Speak with an experienced estate planning attorney to establish your Florida supplemental special needs trust. Contact the Law Offices of Mark F. Moss to see how we can help.

This post is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal advice. Please do not act or refrain from acting based on anything you read on this site. Using this site or communicating with Law Offices of Mark F. Moss, PLLC, through this site does not form an attorney/client relationship.


© 2020 by Law Offices of Mark F Moss, PLLC

301 W. Bay Street, Suite 1493,

Jacksonville, FL 32202

Your privacy is important to us. We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to information you voluntarily give us via e-mail or other direct contacts from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.

We will use your information to respond to you only, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request. Unless you ask us not to, we may contact you via e-mail in the future to tell you about our new services, specials, or changes to this privacy policy. If you want to unsubscribe from our newsletter or e-mails regarding new services, specials, or changes to this privacy policy you can unsubscribe when you receive our correspondences, or e-mail me at, from the e-mail address you wish to unsubscribed with. You can also send us a letter to unsubscribe at 301 W. Bay Street, #1490, Jacksonville, FL 32202. Again please make sure you tell us the e-mail address you subscribed with.